Next steps when given Leave to Remain

If you’ve just been given Leave to Remain, congratulations! We are so pleased for you. There’s a lot to sort out before you leave your NASS accommodation, but first you must decide whether you’re staying in Swindon.

If you are, we can support you with accessing housing and benefits. If you’ve decided to move to another part of the UK, we urge you to move as quickly as possible, but please remember that local authorities do not have to house anyone who cannot prove a ‘local connection’.

You have 28 days to find accommodation and claim benefits from the day you get your Leave to Remain.

Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Your Biometric Residence Card (BRP) will be sent to you by your solicitor; this shows that you can work and also claim benefits
  2. A letter from the Home Office will say if National Insurance has been applied for or not. If not, then you will have to do this through Job Seeker’s Allowance
  3. Open a bank account through Nationwide or open a Post Office Account
  4. Apply for the appropriate benefit
  5. Complete the Deposit Guarantee Scheme form and present yourself to the Homelessness team at Swindon Borough Council; or call them on 01793 445 503 for help with housing
  6. Apply for an integration loan
  7. Apply for Family Reunion (your family must have visas in place before the British Red Cross can help)

You should already have registered with a GP, but you may have to re-register elsewhere depending on where you move.

You can also apply to college in addition to looking for work.

Our volunteers can support you every step of the way. Please remember to bring all your letters and documents with you each time you visit. We know there’s a lot to do and a lot to understand, but that’s what we’re here for!